Karl S. Denninger
I am available for selected engagements at the present time. If you have specific
requirements and would like to discuss them with me, please email me with some
general information including the location of the required effort, and we can
discuss your requirements and my availability to handle your specific needs.
To get around my "spam filter" please place the word "consulting"
in the subject line. My specific areas of expertise include:
- Internet security and the design of secure communications systems.
- Infrastructure design for E-Commerce, Internet and Intranet applications.
- Systems architecture, including high-availability, scalable systems, particularly
on Unix systems such as Linux or FreeBSD.
- 1987 - 1998: D&D Software / Macro Computer Solutions, Inc: Chief
Executive officer; responsible for general corporate management, strategic
planning and systems engineering, including the operation of a major regional
Internet Service Provider and all aspects of ISP operation, both from a technical
and business perspective. The corporation was acquired by Winstar Communications
in August of 1998.
- 1991 - 1993: VideOcart, Inc, Chicago IL: Responsible for all network
design, implementation and operation of the US National VideOcart backbone
and local area networks, based on TCP/IP and open systems protocols. Responsible
as the programming team leader for network software development in the VideOcart
network, a 24x7x365 high-availability distributed system for displaying point-of-purchase
advertising on grocery shopping carts.
- 1989 - 1991: A.C. Nielsen Bannockborn IL: Responsible for network
engineering on the Bannockborn Campus as well as general corporate connectivity
in an open-systems (Unix-centric) environment. Managed the I.T. staff related
to providing internal "customer service" functionality, performed systems
planning and engineering, and designed and implemented both ethernet and fiber-optic
connectivity. Responsible for the development, installation, security and
maintenance of the firm's Internet connectivity.
Areas of Significant Expertise
- Unix System Administration: 15 years of experience in System V, BSD,
and IBM AIX Unix systems. Specific areas of expertise include Internet-connected
systems, security, HTTP service (including web farms), Usenet news service,
DNS (domain name servers) and system clustering in both enterprise and Internet
service provider environments.
- Systems and Application Programming: 15 years of experience in
both system and application programming, particularly in "C" on Unix
environments. System clustering, security, application and management
software experience, both individually and as a team leader in major project
- Unix System Security: 15 years of experience in "hostile"
environments, including Internet Service Provider and corporate system
development. Expertise in security auditing, firewall technology and
secure site planning on both electronic and physical levels.
- Internet Backbone Operation: 5+ years of experience in backbone core
routing, including the design, operation, and configuration of the Network
99 national Internet backbone, the MCSNet regional network, and multiple complex
corporate installations. Comfortable with CISCO backbone hardware, including
the 7xxx series of equipment in a national infrastructure format. Telephone
circuit and vendor expertise including DS1, DS3, OC-3 circuit and transport
- Corporate Operation & Management: 10 years of experience operating
a small and mid-size business, including negotiation with vendors, employment
matters, financial issues and top-level management.